Child & Family Services of the Upper Peninsula, Inc.
Child & Family Services of the Upper Peninsula, Inc.

Foster Home Licensing

Providing foster home licensing services to families interested in offering a safe and nurturing home for children in the child welfare system. Our services extend throughout the entire UP.

What is Foster Care?

Foster care is the temporary placement of children and youth with families outside of their own home due to child abuse or neglect. The placement may be emergency, short-term care, or longer term. The goal is to provide a safe, stable, nurturing environment.

How will I know I am ready to be a foster parent?

Becoming a foster parent can be one of the most rewarding and loving acts of your life. Foster parenting requires a lot of patience and compassion. Foster parents understand that the children that come to them are hurting and that it takes a long time to reduce that pain and change the resulting behaviors. CFSUP licensing staff is here to help you every step of the way.

How do I become a foster parent?

The first step is to attend an orientation meeting, then complete a foster parent application, and complete the PRlDE (Parents’ Resource for Information, Development, Education) training program.

A license is required to operate a foster home. To become a foster parent, you must:

• Be 18 years or older.

• Be financially self-supporting (able to meet own family needs).

• Receive a criminal record clearance, and have no criminal record involving violent crimes or crimes against children.

• Receive a health screening clearance.

• Obtain CPR and First Aid certification.

• Have a home that meets basic safety requirement

How long does it take to be licensed?

Our licensing staff works as diligently as possibly in order to license your home in a timely process. Generally the process takes approximately six months, including the 9-week PRIDE program.

How much does it cost to be a foster parent?

Foster parents receive a stipend to feed, clothe and meet the child’s basic needs. Medical and dental coverage is also provided.

Do I need to own my home or be married?

No. You can rent or own your home, you simply need to have the room to accommodate a child. Your home will be evaluated by CFSUP licensing staff. You can be married, unmarried, or single. All 18+ year old members in the household will need to receive a criminal record clearance.

Have more questions? Check out this video with a current CFSUP licensed foster parent!

Q & A session with current CFSUP foster parent,
Amy Hemmer